- Yercaud hill is located in Salem District at Tamil Nadu.
- It is also called as Ooty of Poor people.
- The height of Yercaud hill is 5, 325 feet and area covered by 383 square kilometres.
- The distance between Salem and Yercaud is 28 km.
- The reason for the name “Yercaud” was derived from the lake found in this place. In Tamil, Yeri Means Lake and Kaadu means forest.
History of Yercaud
- It was proven that history of Yercaud originated from ancient period by the Stone Age implement founded in ancient temple located at 5km from Yercaud.
- In 1842, Sir Thomas Munroe governor of Madras Presidency have found this place.
- During the period of 1820 and 1829, Salem district collector David Cockburn has developed this place. He was called “Father of Yercaud”.
- To develop this place, David Cockburn has cultivated crops like Tea, Coffee, Pears and Apple.
- Due to the cool climate, lot of Christian missionaries have started schools in Yercaud.
- Average Temperature in winter: 12'c to 24'c
- Average Temperature in summer: 16'c to 30'c
- Rainfall: 1500 – 2000mm
Yercaud Flora and Fauna
- National Orchidarium and Botanical garden is located in Yercaud.
- In Orchidarium, we can see 3000 trees and 1800 shrubs. Also we can find insectivores pitcher plant in Yercaud Botanical Garden.
- Bison, Sambar deer, Spotted deer, ant-eater, jackals, hares, foxes, birds and lot of reptiles, we can find in Yercaud.
- Agriculture is one of main source of income in Yercaud, other than Tourism. Coffee and Tea are the major crops grown here.
- Lot of buses reach Yercaud from Salem Bus Stand
- Nearest Airport – Trichy Airport
- Nearest Railway Station – Salem Junction
Watch Video Tour of Yercaud Hill Stations
Yercaud Hill Station Photos
Other Useful Articles about Yercaud
Yercaud hills | Shopping in Yercaud | How to reach Yercaud by Road, Rail and Flights? | Tips for Travellers Visiting Yercaud | Best Time to Visit Yercaud | Important Sightseeing Places in Yercaud